Tuesday 8 May 2012

An extraordinary exposition

The extraordinary tale of a firebird in spring.  It's a very long title for a short film - the script runs for just two pages!

Well, it came about in the dark weeks surrounding Christmas and New Year (When the weather is miserable and the days are short and everything is closed)  This has never been my time of year and having suffered a major bereavement in the autumn, I had fallen into contemplating the big questions and the devastation and chaos that losing someone brings.

I was working a lot in the last quarter of 2011 and I wasn't really dealing with any of these issues and, I have to confess, I had got myself into a bit of a mess by January.

I became interested in how people cope with this seemingly insatiable emotional pain and started wondering if there's a better recipe for learning to face it and to coming to terms with such a massive and inevitable disruption.  Death is a universal thing that we all encounter some time.   I looked into the rituals and customs that exist around the world.  I figured somebody must know how to do it properly!

Firebird is an exploration of approaches to grief inspired by a melting pot of ideas from faith, folklore and cognitive therapy.  It don't know that it answers any  questions, but at least it's got me out of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment